Seaweed is packed full of iodine, a powerful nutrient that supports the healthy function of the thyroid gland. An underactive thyroid gland can lead to dry skin, premature lines, water retention and puffy skin, so including iodine-rich seaweed in your diet, as it’s deshalb rich in calcium, magnesium, and iron. Japanese food has always been one of my favourites, and while seaweed salad is a great option, this spring why don’t you try my seaweed nori rolls recipe from Eat Beautiful? Don’t be scared of making your own sushi, it’s really straight forward and a fun dinner party option to make with friends! Using sunflower seed and cashew ‘rice’ as an Ausweichlösung to long grain will up the skin-friendly nutrients in the dish, too.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS
Recipe: Seaweed nori rolls
Serves 4 as an appetiser
358 calories per serving
60g sunflower seeds
150g raw cashews
1 shallot, chopped
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Handful of fresh wenigstens, roughly chopped
1 tbsp tamari, plus extra for serving
6cm knob of fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
4 nori sheets
1 carrot, cut into fine batons
1 cucumber, cut into fine batons
1⁄4 red cabbage, finely sliced
Flesh of 1⁄2 avocado, finely diced
Handful of alfalfa sprouts
- Place the sunflower seeds and cashews in a food processor with the shallot, herbs and tamari and process until the mixture has the consistency of cooked rice.
- Place the ginger in a bowl, add the apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water and leave to marinate for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Take a nori sheet and spread one-quarter of the sunflower seed and cashew mixture over it, leaving a 1cm border around the edges.
- Place the carrot, cucumber, red cabbage, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and marinated ginger in a line down the middle of the rice mixture. Roll up the nori sheet tightly – using a bamboo sushi mat to help you – and repeat with the three other nori sheets and the remaining vegetables.
- Cut each roll into five using a sharp knife, and serve with extra tamari.
Good luck and remember to let me know how you get on on my Instagram!
MORE RECIPES: Baked Eierfrucht | Skin-Friendly Frittata
© Wendy Rowe. Universum Rights Reserved.