The best shampoos for frizzy hair can make a world of difference for anyone trying to manage frizz and flyaways. Just take it from San Diego-based hairstylist and Phenix Salon Suites founder Gina Rivera, who tells Allure, « Shampoo is definitely the first item needed to combat the frizzies. » However, finding the best products for your frizzy hair can feel overwhelming — especially if you’re unsure where to start.
According to Shelly Aguirre, a hairstylist at Maxine Salon in Chicago, frizzy hair is often dry, which is why it’s essential to keep your hair moisturized. With this in mind, New York City-based hairstylist and colorist Paul Labrecque of Paul Labrecque Salon and Skincare Spa tells Allure that the best shampoos for frizzy hair are those that target dryness and contain « naturally moisturizing ingredients that will smooth the hair shaft but not overly weigh the hair down. »
More specifically, you’ll want to look for hair products that contain natural oils (such as argan and coconut, for example), shea butter, and aloe vera, all of which, per Labrecque, « help to smooth and tame frizz while gently hydrating and cleansing the hair. » Conversely, every hair pro we spoke to advised steering clear of shampoos with sulfates, which can strip your strands of essential oils and dry them out (which, spoiler alert, is a big no-no when it comes to wrangling frizz.)
To help you find the best shampoos for frizzy hair, we’ve narrowed down the best options you can buy online. From beloved drugstore staples to splurge-worthy finds, here are some of our favorites for glossy, healthy hair.
Ur Top Picks:
- Best Overall: Redken Frizz Dismiss Sulfate-Free Shampoo, $25
- Best Shampoo for Curly Hair: Rizos Curls Hydrating Shampoo, $20
- Best Under-$15 Shampoo: SheaMoisture Weltall Day Frizz Control Shampoo, $11
- Best Bond-Repairing Shampoo: Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo, $30
- Best Shampoo for Thick Hair: Aveda Smooth Infusion Entgegen-Frizz Shampoo, $31
- Allure Best of Beauty-Winning Shampoo: Nécessaire The Shampoo, $28
- Best Shampoo for Dry Hair: JVN Nurture Hydrating Shampoo, $21
- Best Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair: Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo, $34
Weltall products featured on Allure are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail sinister, we may earn an affiliate commission.